Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sommersemester

Although I had been seriously thinking about it, and basically planning it, it is now official that I will be staying for the Freie Universitaet's "Sommersemester." In Germany, they have two semesters that don't work at all the same as the U.S. semester system. The "Wintersemester" goes from about October to March, and the "Sommersemester" goes from April to July.

Since the FU BEST program is designed to only go from January till April, those students who are at the intermediate and advanced levels have the option of staying and attending the "Sommersemester." I have officially signed my enrollment form, saying that I will be staying for this as well!

In the coming weeks and months, I will choose courses and find a place to live. As for courses, one of them will probably be a German class for foreign students, and then I will probably take a content courses completely in German, with German students. I hope to check all over the internet to find a place to live in a "Wohngemeinschaft" (a WG for short). It is basically a shared apartment that is usually more of a community living feel, where students live together, but also cook meals and have fun together. Hopefully it will be a good way to get closer to the slightly cold Germans and practice speaking.

On the down side, it will mean that I have less than a month of summer vacation when I return to the US in late July.

1 comment:

Donny said...

wow! can't believe you're staying longer. how many people choose to do this?

i had the opportunity to stay in bangladesh longer, but i turned it down. but a year is much different from your initial 4 months.