Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Pucon - Day 3 [11/11]

While a lot of people went rafting, Alli and I headed into Pucon to check out the town and do some souvenir shopping. The whole town is pretty small, and very quaint - picturesque mountain town. Although, it is pretty obvious that it is a tourist town. The normal small town in the south of Chile wouldn't have North Face, United Colors of Benetton, or Adidas stores. (Kind of made me feel at home like Bethesda). There are also lots of cute restaurants in a lot of different price ranges all over the city.

Alli and I walked to the lake, which was absolutely breathtaking. With mountains coming up on both sides of the lake and black sand that comes from the volcanoes, it was the perfect place to sit and have lunch. Walking around town made me think of how much this is a place my family would love.


[beach, lake, and mountains]


[the lake]

We then found some artesanias in town, where we found souvenirs and presents. In the south, the wood-worked crafts are the big souvenir, so guess who I bought a present for?


[Alli and I at the lake]


[All's safe on the volcano!]

At about 2:30, we headed back to the cabanas, where the rafters had gotten back from their trip. One group had done lower class rapids and another higher. Both groups seemed like they had a good time. While we waited for the bus to pick us up for canopy, we just sat on the grass by the cabanas and ate and talked. It is really nice to have the ISA trip to Pucon at the end of the semester like this, to give us a nice period of time to hang out before everyone goes home. But I don't want to think about going home...


[a break from food to take a picture]

At 3:00, we got on a bus provided by the tour company to go to canopy, or zip-line. The course we did is the longest in South America, and only cost us $14. I was a little nervous at first, since my hand wasn't in top shape, I have a slight fear of heights, and I had never done it before. We started on some smaller lines to practice, and then moved right to the big stuff, with a line that took us across the whole valley. I got to go with a guide, and took a great video of the ride.


[in our gear, getting ready to go]


[Ann, Me, Alli waiting to do the last leg]

All in all, I loved this trip! I really miss green, trees, and forests and the south is absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to go further south in December!!

All photos from canopy can be seen here.

2 comments:

Kerstin said...

Jag är glad att du tänker på oss! Och du har absolut rätt i att skulle tycka det var fantastiskt där! Linbanan såg ju inte helt ofarlig ut! Igen tur att jag inget visste innan du åkte. Är du med guiden om midjan?

Kram
mamma

Anonymous said...

Hej Kristina.
Ser ju harligt ut med linbana men som Kerstin sager inte helt ofarligt heller.
Jag ser inget gips pa armen????
Det later som du haft en fantastisk tid i Chile. Fina bilder och trevlig text.
Hoppas allt ar bra med dig.
Kram Anna Gunn.