Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Classes! (Already?)

Very unlike Chilean life, a mere five days after our arrival in Berlin, we already had our first day of classes. On Monday morning, we can into the building and had to find our name on lists that were posted outside each classroom, which told us which class we were in. I ended up being in Intermediate 2, whereas I had hoped to place into a higher level. [Although after a semester of 100% Spanish, I'm not sure what I expected.] But as long as the credits transfer for my German major, I'm not too concerned at it would be a good review for me.

All the students in the FU BEST Program have to take a language course, worth 6 credit hours. Then there are various "Content" course, all but one are taught in English, that we can choose from for our remaining course load.

On Monday, I had one of my content courses, which is 20th Century German History - obviously a very interesting class with lots of material to cover. The Professor has chosen to teach the class thematically, meaning that each week we cover a particular theme, that may not have to do with a specific time period on the 20th Century (such as Gender and Sexuality or Democracy v. Dictatorship). We also have been tasked to visit three different museums in Berlin (the German History Museum, the German-Russian Museum, and the Film and TV Museum); all of which I am very excited about seeing.

Later this week, I will have my two other content courses (a Theater class taught in Germany and a Cinema class). And unlike Chile, I only have a week to choose whether I want to stay in these classes or not. Basically, I think I am in all the classes for the long haul...

3 comments:

alli's in wonderland said...

lets go back to chile!

sounds less fome than the us and germany combined.

brittany said...

girl
you need a break
go to the beach or something :'(
tear.
baltimore isn't that far from nj but you're in germany :(
be good and it would be totally ridic if you ran into nina or any of the other germans from valpo in germany (although i doubt that'd happen but still i'm dreaming about it for you).
LOVE TO YOU!!!
britt

Donny said...

20th Century German History? that sounds like a class where not much will happen. i mean honestly, did Germany play any role at all in any world affair during the 20th century??????

mmmm...if this comment was a cake and my sarcasm was the frosting....that'd be a delicious cake
not for me though...i prefer pieces with very little frosting.