Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The "Swedish" Church

Back in D.C., we go to church at the Augustana Lutheran Church when they have services in Swedish, provided by the Svenska Kyrkan i Utlandet (basically the overseas Swedish Church). The actual Swedish Church that is closest to us is in New York, where they have a church, a library, and a little coffee shop.

Here in Berlin, I found out that they not only have a congregation, but they have a church building, also with a library and community room, as well as a Swedish School. Knowing this and being part of the Church in D.C., I felt I had to go and at least check it out.

Since they have service on Wednesdays and Sunday mornings, I thought it might fit my schedule better to go on Wednesday. So today, I headed out at 5 from the FU BEST building to go to the service at 6. After wandering for a while, I came upon the Church with twenty minutes to spare. I had time to look around at the very nice new building that they have and look what other activities they have going on. They actually have a Norwegian priest as well, who does some services in Norwegian for their community in Berlin.

At around 5 til, I went and sat in the Church and waited for the service to start. When the organist came around and gave us the pamphlet with the process of the service, I read it and was shocked and humored at the same time. There on the front, it said that it was the weekly service in Norwegian. All the prayers and psalms, everything was going to be in Norwegian. I had the urge to just walk out of the chapel, but it was too late.

As the service went on, I realized it was OK. Although I didn't understand all of the Norwegian, it is very similar to Swedish and I understood most of it. The service also followed the service that I am used to. I still couldn't help but think that a seemingly normal trip to a church that I should be familiar with turned into such an adventure! I think I'll try to go to a service again when I know it is in Swedish. Either that or I'll start learning Norwegian better.

2 comments:

Kerstin said...

Morn morn, kan du icke snacke norsk! Icke jeg heller.......meget lustig...

Donny said...

i'm caught up on kristina's life! woot! finished reading every blog entry in less than a week.
so much for instant satisfaction. kinda like when i got caught up on Entourage, and had to actually WAIT for the next episode. or when the same thing happened with The Office. or How I Met Your Mother. etc.