Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Culture Clashes

[Note: I would write about the significance of September 11th in Chilean history, but that isn't really what has been on my mind. Check Alli's, Brittany's or MaryAnn's blogs for more info, they have done a great job explaining it.]

About a week ago, I had intentions of writing a post about all the things in Chile that I love. I didn't get around to it, you might have noticed. And now I have intentions about writing about the complete opposite. Not that I am not having a great experience here, it is simply that with ups also come downs.

The cultural differences that exist here are beginning to grow on me. Some things that I believed were acceptable or normal I have begun to realize are not. For example, at home there have been many times that I have not called when not coming home to dinner or staying out a friends house for the night. Which, I may be wrong on this too, my parents never thought as a big deal. In Chile, apparently these are bad manners. You may say it is because they are worried about me since I am a foreigner, but I've learned recently that the Chileans do it also. In reality, I think I'm in a much more protective environment than I am used to.

There are also things that are done here that I can't believe aren't considered rude. A simple example is reaching across the table. There is really no "Please pass the butter;" it's just reach across the table and say "Permiso" (excuse me) if you feel like it. For me, the nosiness of others is also very rude. I think I come from a culture where people need their space and privacy, especially when it comes to dealing with new people.

So, I hadn't really thought about these differences until I got really upset about them. Talking to Sigrid and Giorgio about my frustrations and misunderstandings, their words comforted me. They reminded me first to stay calm and not get too worked up. Then Giorgio explained that he had a similar experience when he first lived here. He said that he hadn't thought it important to do some of the things that I've noticed I'm not doing, and also had his own frustrations. He told me that some small concessions were likely to go a long way.

All in all, I'm still not feeling happy/wonderful/giddy, but now I have ideas of how to adapt to the Chilean customs as well as the attitude of the house better. Unfortunately, I know I have to make changes rather than to expect anything else to change.

2 comments:

alli's in wonderland said...

aw i know what you mean about that stuff. i had one of this those weeks last week, it will get better.

speaking of sept. 11 posts. when i started mine, there we none. when i ended, 4. it's probably good you brought something new to the blogging table.

Donny said...

i think all of us travelers go through this at some point. i can make a whole list of things i've had to adapt to in bangladeshi culture.

one of the toughest is the phone culture, and what is considered rude. one example on this topic is that in the US, there are guidelines to when making a phone call is appropriate. in my house i was told it was rude to call people before 10 am or after 9 pm. but here in bangladesh, the only time of day my roommate hasn't received a phone call is 1:30am-5:30am. Every other time of day is acceptable to call and have a conversation. Its tough for me since I'm trying to sleep when his phone is ringing of the hook.