Saturday, September 22, 2007

¡Mi Cumpleaños!

Yesterday was my birthday!

I'm not sure if it is Chilean style or not, but my birthday wasn't too hectic. The main focus of the day was making empanadas for the (surprise) guests that were coming over later. A great cooperation between Angelica (who got us all the materials we needed), Scarlett, Sigrid and I (who did various parts of the cooking process), we spent about three hours making lots of different kids of empanadas.

We made: mushroom, cheese and onion; ham, tomato and cheese; spinach and cheese; soy-meat and cheese; banana and chocolate; strawberry and chocolate; and membrillo empandas. You may understand why it took such a long time! I also made my first batch of pebre, which is kind of like Chilean salsa, and the Gaddy-recipe guacamole with fresh Chilean avocados and lemons from our lemon tree!


(Sebastian, Cari, and Ben waiting for us to finish up the empanadas)

For our first time making empanadas, I think that we did a great job! Although there are definitely some things that can be improved on next time. Make and learn... and eat.


(all the empanadas and other food on the table)

After we baked and fried about forty empanadas, we all sat down to eat, and Angelica bought me a cake!


(blowing out the candle on my cake with my fabulous crown)

It was really nice to have people over, but I had been warned that having a birthday on the 20th of September really wasn't the best day. Although, I'm not sure why someone would say that since I can't really change it... But, it is quite true. Since everyone has been partying for such a long time before the 20th, the 20th is the day to recuperate and take it easy. That being said, we went out after the dinner at the house, but it wasn't very face-paced since we were all super tired.

Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes! It was fun here, but not the same as being with family and friends!

1 comment:

Kerstin said...

Hi, looks like a great time!!!! Next year on your birthday, maybe we can have empanadas here.