Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Isla Negra


(view of the house from the beach)

This weekend, we took a trip to Isla Negra with the ISA group. Isla Negra is the 3rd home of Pablo Neruda, that sits by the ocean. Although called Isla Negra, it is, in face, not an island.


(the house again)

Again, Neruda's amazing choice of location, architecture that looks incredibly like the inside of a boat, collections of random, yet beautiful things, and attention to detail were astonishing. Many say that this is the most beautiful house that he owned, but I'm not sure I agree. Maybe the weather had something to do with it, but his house in Santiago might be my favorite.


(amazing view, Pablo)


(the weather was quite cold and dreary)


(Pablo Neruda remains here and in the hearts of the Chileans...)


(collection of glass bottles... other collections in the house included wood carvings that are from the fronts of ships, insects, masks from all over the world, ships in bottles, jars from old apothecaries and more)


(Scarlett, Sigrid, and me outside of the house)


(Selma and me by the fish statue... I believe this is the 'symbol' for Neruda's house at Isla Negra... from what I understand each house has a symbol)


(Selma, Scarlett and me at Isla Negra. People totally think that we are Chileans... why would we stand out?)

1 comment:

Kerstin said...

Well, you say Isla Negra is not an island, but it is not black either....so the name is a mystery. I like the triplets.