Saturday, September 15, 2007

You know it's getting close to Fiestas Patrias when...

On September 18th and 19th of every year, the Chileans celebrate "fiestas patrias," which make up their independence day, September 18th, and armed forces day, September 19th. We had been told that the Chileans start celebrating and getting ready at the beginning of September, and I have started to notice some things have been different as the holidays approach.

Last week, I believe it was the 11th, I was walking the Jumbo, the Chilean Wal-Mart, when I noticed that there was a group of people, fully clad in traditional clothing dancing the cueca, or Chile's national dance in the middle of the store, at 10 o'clock in the morning. Can you imagine a bunch of people line-dancing in Wal-Mart in late June, getting ready for July 4th?


(dancing the cueca in some very festive costumes...)

The last couple of weeks, I have noticed people, from young boys to full grown men, walking down the street in Chilean traditional costume.

When I went running yesterday, there was a marching band practicing Chile's national anthem on the beach.

Basically any shop, store, restaurant, etc that you walk into has red, white and blue, banners, flags, streamers all over the place.

The micros have red, white and blue ribbons on the front, as well as more Chilean flags than usual.

All of this, plus the fact that we have a week off from school, plus the three barbecues that are planned between now and next Thursday, are making me very excited to experience the Chilean fiestas patrias!

1 comment:

Kerstin said...

This sounds like a ver exciting week coming up!!!! I wish I were there.