Saturday, October 27, 2007

Bad News Blogs

Today, I had my first rugby tournament with the UPLA team. We were matched up against the Sporting Club's team and the U de Chile team. Playing 7s rugby, we decided to play three seven minute halves for each game instead of two.

The good news: we won both games and I scored a try.

The bad news: I broke my fourth metacarpal of my ring finger of my right hand while tackling someone.

I went to a center that specializes in trauma, and apparently the best place for broken bones in the area. In less than two hours, I was seen by the doctor, got an x-ray, got a response from the doctor (that I would need an operation to fix the break), and got my arm put in a temporary cast to restrict movement. But, this was of course because it was a private place, not a public hospital - meaning it costs a lot more.

On the positive side, it was also a good test of my Spanish to see if I understood what the doctor was saying and communicate what happened and what I needed for insurance. But as back-up, two girls from the team came to help me and keep me company.

Updates on the situation forthcoming...

No comments: