Monday, October 29, 2007

Surgery...

After talking to the doctor again about the surgery and a more in-depth look at what it entails, I have decided to do the surgery tomorrow and have a pin put in my hand to put the bones back into the right place.


[a picture of my x-ray. as you can see, the knuckle of my ring finger is at about the same level as my pinky... which it is not supposed to be. oh yea, and there is that large break too.]

The doctor says that I will have the bones moved into the right place so that they can heal correctly. Without the surgery, the hand would take a month in a cast to heal. With the surgery, about a week with restricted movement is all I need. [And then three months of no contact sports... :(] So, I have chosen to have the surgery.

I'm not really too sad about this all, except for the fact that I have to miss my trip to San Pedro de Atacama, a desert pueblo in the north, that I had planned for the upcoming long weekend.

Being at the doctor's also makes me laugh a little bit. All I can think of is middle and high school Spanish, we when had units on health and the doctor's office. Then, I would think to myself, "Am I really ever going to use this?" Even if I studied abroad, I sure hoped that I wouldn't have to go to the doctor for any reason. We'd have this silly skits about going to the doctor, explaining symptoms, getting treatment, etc. But hey, this has all come in handy now. First, I can explain to everyone that "Me fracturo mi mano" [I fractured my hand], which is pretty basic. But after getting my blood drawn today, I could also say, "Ojala que no me desmaye" [I hope I don't faint]. The situations just feel like I'm back in the skit during an elementary Spanish class... quite comical in the end, actually.

4 comments:

Kerstin said...

Nice photos for Halloween! Oh, wait - you broke your hand!

Hey - good luck with the surgery tomorrow! Love, Dad

Jill said...

Hi Kristina,
Good luck with your surgery and recovery. Hugs from all of us in Chapel Hill and a big thanks for not breaking your ankle! Under two months until we are at the bottom of the Canyon!
Take care,
Jill

Anonymous said...

Hej Kristina!
Hoppas att går bra idag, vi tänker på dig. Din blog är toppen.

Happy Halloween!
Kramar från Familjen Lindvall

John Paul said...

Hi Kristina -- Jill said it right--better your hand than ankle! We really look forward to the GC trip with you all! Hope the surgery is easy, and your recovery rapid. It's also good that you are in a place like Chile rather than, say, Mauritania! Best, John